Friday, June 5, 2009

for the girls...what we call "details"

I was nice enough to have Gabriele write "our story." I requested that because, well, many things just sound better when he says them. They're at least more entertaining. Now I suppose it's my job to do the girly thing and write about the proposal.
To be honest, it wasn't a surprise, and it wasn't as if we hadn't already decided that our relationship was going to be permanent...but tradition calls for certain things to happen. Before I made the trip to Italy I wondered if I would come home engaged but didn't too much concern myself with it. I don't know if things happened the way I expected them to at all, but in the end I was happy anyway.
Gabriele took me to see this very old little castle on a hill that overlooks his town of Cormons, Italy. The view from there is amazing and so peaceful. Before approaching the actual structure there are several signs that read, "vietato salire sulla torre." Now, I understand some basic Italian, so I asked Gab what that meant. He of course said, in a very suspicious manner, "I'll tell you later." I asked again, and insisted but got no answer, so we continued to the castle and climbed to the top and sat for a little while. Those signs actually told us that it was forbidden to climb...go figure. Either way, this was the location where Gabriele asked me to marry him. I, of course, accepted but we both discussed how it would be official when he gave me a ring.
So then I spent two weeks touring Italy, a little bit of Slovenia, and even Croatia (yay!). A few days before leaving for home we went ring shopping. I didn't really think I would be going home with a ring. To me this was just an opportunity to give Gabriele an idea of something I would like. For several hours I tried on many rings and did not like any of them. I felt bad for being so picky. On the way home I just turned to Gabriele and said, "Just forget the ring. I don't want one anymore." I think this really confused him and he wanted to know why I felt this way. So I told him what I felt, honestly, "I don't really need a ring. Engagement rings just seem like they're for show anyway. I'd rather put the money toward our house." I mean, seriously, I'll take a house over a ring any day. Well, he invited me to look at one more store. It was a really classy, small jewelry store in the center of Cormons. I immediately found the best ring I had seen all day. So he got it for me. Then it was official! I didn't really think that would happen right then and right there. But it did. And I couldn't be happier. And I am really grateful for all of you, my friends, and your love and support. That makes everything more fun and exciting!

1 comment:

  1. jako vas volimo i vrlo-vrlo nam je drago da se prijateljima vašim možemo nazivati
    neka vas Bog blagoslovi jer vaš dolazak u Hrvatsku, Zadar i našu obitelj nas je obogatio i donio mnogo sreće i ljubavi
    elder minen primjer si kakav treba biti misionar tako budi i primjeran muž i suprug klaudiji
    sestro piters za tebe nemam dovoljno pohvale toliko si mi blagoslovila moju djecu da te smatram svojojm kćeri i sad dok ovo pišem plačem od sreće da si odabrala gabriela za svog doživotnog sudruga
    jako vas volimo svi cijela obitelj plentaj i zadarski ogranak i čuvajte se i volite se djeco draga
    i sve vam to govrim i ostavljam u ime Isusa Krista
    amen

    ReplyDelete